Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Outlines

Like query letters, outlines are a necessary evil of writing. Frankly, I still don't have the hang of it.  I know I was supposed to learn it in school, but I always just researched the information, then wrote my essays, checked spelling and grammar, and turned it in.  I didn't have bad grades.  What was my incentive to waste time on an outline?

Now I find I write myself into corners all the time.  Why?  Because I hate to outline.

Can you blame me?  I sat down to start an outline on a new novel which is not completely conceived at this point.  I thought starting an outline might help me fill out the rest of the idea.

Instead I typed this:

Reading Tarot in a Cabaret

The filthy club’s lights danced brightly off their targets leaving the rest of the room dark.  The only sign of other humans came from their laughter, clapping, and boisterous cheers, yet she could see him and knew instantly that her life would change drastically.
When a tarot reader turns the card of death, it does necessarily mean a physically death.  Despite the ominous, demonic image which stared through the soul of the person whose card were being read, it indicates a deep transformation of soul, love, employment, or spirit.
No, the card with the foreboding word Death written across the top of it did not mean someone had to die.  Perhaps it was the Emperor or the Priestess that had been turned who were actually responsible for the fact that someone had to die in order for someone else to live.



And I would frankly rather explore that than to write a stinky old outline.

Outlines SUCK.

That is all.

No comments: