Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Some Days...

It's still a struggle. When she was younger, things were constant, but we held to our guns, backed each other up, and it was worth the anxiety and stress - even if it didn't seem like it at the time.

But it's still a struggle.

Earlier today we watched an episode of Little House and then I said "Maybe if there's time after you read and we get stuff done we can watch another episode." I tell her to go get her book. She leaves the room and returns 20 minutes later without a book. That's okay, we've got hours until bed. So, a little while later I tell her to get her book and read while I make dinner. She hovers around my cooking, I remind her to get the book again. She goofs off, sits at the table and looks at a birthday invitation, and starts dancing around the kitchen. I play for a minute, then say "get your book."

Dinner's ready and she has only barely picked up her book. I tell her to read after eating. She eats and says she wants to brush her teeth. After brushing her teeth, I ask her to put her laundry away. She takes it upstairs and disappears for about 45 minutes. I call her, tell her to read. She finally reads her 20 minutes, but now it's 7:30. After reading she says she's going to play school downstairs. I say okay.

7:49. I say "It's close to 8. Can you please get into your pajamas?"
"But you said we might be able to watch another episode of Little House if I read."
"I said maybe because it depended on time. There's no time left."
"But I did my reading."
"I know. Thanks. Now it's time to get ready for bed."
"But I did my reading a while ago."
"And then you wanted to play school."
"Well, I did want to watch it."
"I understand, but there's no time now. If you had done the reading earlier, we would have had time to watch it."
"I did my reading."
"But not until it was too late."
"I didn't know it was too late."

These things usually do not end until I yell at her. It has taken everything in my soul to not yell at her at these situations.

So what the hell am I doing wrong? Because we have these incidences at least 3 times a week and they seriously NEVER end. I've tried just explaining and then stopping and refusing to engage her in the argument. I've tried yelling (which ends it, but I don't like doing it). I've tried being super calm and explaining, but it goes on forever. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong that makes these things continue. I know she is subconsciously trying to "get to me", but knowing that doesn't help me make it stop.

Grrr. Some days...

1 comment:

Garvey Family said...

What are all these pictures from that you have on your slide show? You need to put some pic's of the cute Victoria on here.