Friday, January 26, 2018

The Church of Jenga

I was raised in the LDS religion.  While I respect a lot of things I learn by being raised religiously, I have always had questions.  In the land of the internets, I find most non-religious people accuse religious people of being stupid, yet many in my family more intelligent than I have strong faith. Trust me when I say they are WELL above average, but I can explain how if people doubt it.

Anyway, I had this moment last night where I saw this game of Jenga and it clarified a lot for me.  Me and my siblings all started with this new game of Jenga.  Everything was in a crisp, perfect block. 

The thing is, as you grow and learn, a block carefully slides out.  You ask the question and you look to scripture or a religious leader or your heart for an answer.  Now two things can happen.  I won't say only two, but I will say I see only two.  You take that answer, an answer that may be logical or beautiful or fair, an answer "inspired by God" or maybe just made up by a fallible human and you look at that block in your hand and you have a choice.  You can think it still doesn't fit or in your heart it just doesn't feel right and you set that block aside.

For others, for those in my family, I think they took those blocks and are building themselves a damned stairway to heaven.

Mine slowly wore away. I will probably get into examples in future, but when I couldn't come to terms with a question, my blocks got set aside.  It didn't happen all at once, but eventually, the whole tower came down.


No comments: