Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Defining Independent Artist

It seems that with an internet full of information, it is also full of opinions on the final word of what makes an artist.

It's easy to say painters and sculptors are artists because this is, of course, referred to as "art".  These days, computers play a large roll in art so graphic artists are accepted as artists.

After that, we call musicians artists whether they are creating the work themselves or simply putting a voice to a song written by someone else.  Interesting how that one works.

To me, if you strive for creativity, you are an artist. Frankly, I've met business managers who conduct business in a creative, artistic way, but when I start recognizing that, I realize everyone on this green and blue earth is an artist so I'll pull back my definition a little.

Perhaps artist is a lifestyle and personality rather than an endeavor.  Maybe it's about the personalities, the love of art, the desire to wear peasant blouses and drink wine.  But wait. I don't wear peasant blouses, drink wine, and type with one hand on an Apple so it must not be that narrow either.

As a writer, I consider myself an artist, but that has actually been discounted as art by more than one source.  Trustworthy sources or not, it hurts a little.  You might struggle to see the "art" in a non-fiction book about how to be a better manager, but I would think it is pretty easy to make the connection to a piece of fiction. Even if you don't, I can't help the fact that I have the desire to create.  Writing is my main lover, of course, but I dabble in other things as often as possible.  Or, at least, as often as the inspiration strikes.

For instance, did you know I play 5 instruments?  Yeah, I don't play for audiences, but I played piano quite well, played trombone in Elementary and Jr. High school bands, played violin in Elementary Orchestra, and in college I took guitar so that I could learn how to play.  From there I taught myself more guitar and eventually tenor saxophone.  Why?  Because it was creative and inspiring.

Did you also know I've created visual art?  Yeah, they are terrible, but they got out the bugs.  I have worked a little to learn to draw - not very well, but I know the concepts - and I've made things with my hands.

And don't tell me crafting isn't an art if you're not following a pattern. It certainly must be!  It feeds my creative soul when I am not writing.

Whatever your passion, as long as you feed it and strive to express yourself creatively, I consider you an artist.  Congrats.  You're one of us!

And I, for one, love you! (even when I don't agree with you...)

No comments: